home recent topics recent posts search faq  

Colorado Patriot Guard Riders Forum

register | lost password   sign in with Twitter
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Colorado PGR General Discussions » United States Flag Code - a good read!

This forum is used for general non-mission related postings
9/27/2011 6:13:47 PM

Ted Malone
Ted Malone
Administrator
Over the years that I've been leading missions and involved with other stuff with and around the Military, I've always found it interesting that most of us don't really have a complete understanding of Flag Etiquette (I am talking about myself here as well, it wasn't until I started researching the various codes and such that I've come to understand just how many laws and codes have been written about our flag). Of course we all know the basics, but there's actually quite a bit of information available out there on just exactly how "Flag Lines" should work.

A group called the Military Salute Project started back in 2003 to create a single document that lists all known US Flag codes and the varying conditions in which they apply. The document was finally published in 2008.

The reason that I am putting this out here now is that I've received a chain email from several of my friends that talks about how the words at a military funeral were changed by Obama to remove reference to the President of the United States. Fact is (and I had a very hard time believing this) that the US Army does NOT include a reference to the President during the flag presentation at funerals. The words used at Army Funerals during flag presentation are, "This flag is presented on behalf of a grateful nation and the United States Army as a token of appreciation for your loved one's honorable and faithful service."

When it comes to flag protocol, and given what we as an organization represent, I think it's a good idea for all of us to have a general understanding of it all.

I've attached the US Flag Manual to this post. If you want to read through it (It's 45 pages) you can click to download it. It is a .PDF file, so you'll need Adobe Acrobat if you want to read it.

Thanks. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

--
Ted "Gopher" Malone
Former Assistant State Captain - Southern Colorado
http://www.coloradopgr.org

Attachments:
mspflagmanual.pdf
+1 permalink
4/12/2017 7:58:32 PM

Jim Herstein
Jim Herstein
Administrator
Order of precedence is on page 23 of the manual.

--
Jim
(303) 518-8790
jwherst@aol.com
Colorado PGR HOTH Coordinator
0 permalink
4/13/2017 8:02:05 AM

David Lefavor
David Lefavor
The flag presentation verbiage was standardized across all the DoD service branches April 17, 2012, and it does reference the President.

https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/mfh/getLinks.do?tab=Flag

A more thorough discussion of the wording differences across the services can be found here:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/funeral.asp

The chain email that lives on eternally through the internet is false.
edited by dlefavor on 4/15/2017
0 permalink

Home » Colorado PGR General Discussions » United States Flag Code - a good read!